Please see the post RE new 7.9 masts
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
As I’ve posted, I’m rerigging hull #45. To remove the upper shrouds, you need to pull the end caps off the spreaders. Suuuuuuurrrrrrrre, you do. My boat had spent a couple years in saltwater. The 10-32 stainless socket head screws were not going to budge. I tied the shroud cable tight against the spreader with wire ties, then soaked the spreader for 5 days in a mix diesel and automatic transmission fluid. Then, I used a propane torch to heat the poop out of it. I got one screw to ‘squeak’ and move. The other was stuck and I stripped out the hex socket head. I drilled the head so I could use a hammer and tap in an “easy out.” From there, I was able to get that screw out. I chased the threads with a tap, and used a dental pick to clean the salt out of the cap. On the other spreader, I had less patience. I just drilled the screw heads and used the “easy out” with lots of heat and penetrating oil. On this one, I ended up twisting the heads off the screws, but was able, later, to remove the remainder of the screws after soaking and then using heat and a vice grip. When I put it all back together, I’m going to use a 1/4” longer screw and use grease or never-seize in the holes. Then, since I trailer sail, I’ll check those screws at least once a year. Oh, the fun of owning a 30 year old boat.
Had the same problem. Soaked the screws in Master Blaster for a day. Worked them back and forth and got them all out without drilling anything. Used Copper-Kote anti seize when putting them back together.